Monday, August 12, 2013

Summer, 1973: Artist as Magician

Anais Nin receives an Honorary Doctorate of Art from the Philadelphia College of Art where she speaks, "impromptu, inspired as always by the theme of artist as magician."

Here is an excerpt from the transcript of her commencement address:

"As a writer I wanted simply to take all the various expressions of art into writing, and I thought each art must nourish the other, each one can add to the other. And I would take into writing what I learned from dancing, what I learned from music, what I learned from design, what I learned from architecture. From every form of art there is something that I wanted to include in writing, and I wanted writing, poetic writing, to include them all."

Art has the power to create something out of nothing, which can be lonely as those around us don't understand our art and alienate us from society. The artist risks this alienation to attract those who can relate to his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment